We've been having a really great holiday this year, I've been putting lots of effort into memories and quality time with the kids. A few traditions we have are...
Decorate the tree! As soon as possible after Thanksgiving! I've been known to do this on Friday instead of shopping. The kids each have a tree for their own room where they place "their" ornaments, and "mommy's" tree gets Mommy's ornaments. Yes, We have discussed my OCD and we have found a balance that works for our family! :-) If you have a problem with it, I highly suspect it's because your jealous, lol!
Driving to look at Christmas lights...as often as possible! I could do this EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT! Do this with a steaming cuppa joe from your local Starbucks and you have yourself a slice of Heaven! Ooo, or caramel corn! :-)
Lots of people do Christmas movies and I do those too, but for us, I prefer to read Christmas stories, lots of them, over and over again! Christmas stories do not get old and I love reading with my kids. I will never forget the sound of my Mom reading the Secret Garden to me or telling me bedtime stories and falling asleep as she did. My treasure :-)
Making cookies and ornaments with friends. Another issue I am learning to let go of control in regards to. Cookies are meant to taste YUMMY, not to look perfect or neat. It is an experience to laugh through and enjoy...not accomplish or check off the list.
My Momma's sweet and sour meatballs on Christmas Eve.
Taking each of the girls on a special trip to pick out gifts for each other. I love the reward of seeing my girls be super sweet about each other. It helps me survive the other 364 days they are fighting.
And a few of the traditions I'm not so proud of.
Every year I get so excited about Christmas pictures and cards. And every year I turn into a ugly monster because it doesn't ever turn out the way I dreamed. I even think of some really funny blooper cards. One of these years I'll get it together, and mailed, to everyone, before Christmas. But then I'll know that death is imminent, so this year I am blissful that 1/2 of my cards are still on my counter and that the [picture is a grainy iphone picture of grumpy kids in mismatched pj's. It means I still have a few years. :-D
Buying waaaaay too much and using the excuse that 1/2 of it is for Birthdays. Also, guilty of buying my own gifts...on a credit card. I don't expect others to make me happy. But I reserve the right to do it myself.
Wishing I was doing more, for others.
There are more and I could remember them all when I sat down. At the moment, this is all I can shake form the vault. I'll add more later. Maybe even a picture or two.
No comments:
Post a Comment