Friday, May 6, 2011

Momma shoutout

First and foremost~to My Momma

This incredible lady gave birth to 9 children, loved us all unconditionally and taught us more than we realized. I wouldn't even know where to begin to thank her for all she has done. She has been there for me when I needed her, wiped my tears and told me to suck it up. She has been my biggest cheerleader and my harshest critic...and now that I have girls of my own I am finally beginning to better understand how amazing she is! You never think about how strong your mom is...until you become a parent. She rarely let us get away with anything, and yet we had a crazy cool childhood. We were allowed (encouraged) to think outside the box. She home schooled before it was cool. Some of our stories get funny looks from our friends, but never fail to make us laugh when we relive them with our siblings. Our parents taught alot by example...they let us see their struggles and as I've said before, what priceless gift that was. I didn't grow up disillusioned, with a false sense of security or confidence. When I did something and did it well, I didn't need a party, because they had taught me that doing something right, the first time, is a reward all its own and that someone else's approval pales in comparison to one's own sense of accomplishment! My parents let me fall, hard and often. I learned that sometimes life sucks...but you keep at it. That you don't throw anyone out of the boat. No one is more important than another~ no matter what color, social class, education. You are who you decide to be and if "the world" doesn't like you~its probably a good thing.
I'd get good and mad at my Mom, threaten to run away, I tried calling her "Nancy" or "mud" for a few days because I thought I was cool. This was one thing she did not let me get away with. Her name was Mom. She taught us the golden rules, and insisted we live by them even when our friends didn't. She yelled on occasion, wasn't afraid to pinch a nerve or wash our mouths out with soap, but her favorite (and most effective) form of discipline was consequence. She didn't bubble wrap us. We had the freedom of choice and when we made a bad one, she let us learn the hard way. I consider this one of my greatest blessings.

To my sisters~y'all may not all be mom's (yet) but you've done your fair share of Mothering me. One thing Mom taught us all was how to take care of our own. And I am just now beginning to grasp the importance of this.

To my friends~who have been in the trenches with me, not afraid to share their stories to help me through my darkest hours. Not just in respect to being Moms, but wives as well. There is so much more to this job than a man could ever truly understand.

To the Mom's who have shared their babies with me~ you have given me one of the greatest gifts, allowing me to be part of your children's lives and hearts. Thank you for letting me love on your kiddos!

1 comment:

~JAHNA~ said...

Love love love this post!! Thanks for mothering me and giving me advice even when I acted like a rotten teenager.