Tuesday, October 11, 2011

As simple as ABC.

It is October. Of all the months, this would be my least favorite. But even though I am not a Halloween fan, I can appreciate a few things. My goal for this month is to take time to reflect over the past year and be thankful. This time last year, I was just getting over the miscarriage and fighting with the IRS. And now here I sit, staring at this beautiful baby boy!

I am super excited to do pumpkins, to take pictures with my family (and sisters!) and start our Thankful tree. Then there will be Thanksgiving and Christmas and then New Years! Let's get this party started!

My first (of what I hope will be many) Thankful activity is an idea from my forever friend Larnie lou. Counting your blessing is as simple as ABC...

A~ I am thankful beyond words for my "crazy A's". Abigail, Amelia and Axel Jude. Their lives are simply the BEST thing that I have ever been able to participate in.

B~Blue skies. The sky is almost ALWAYS blue, in one shade or another. Yes, at sunset it has glorious streaks of red, orange, pink or purple...but if you look from horizon to horizon there is ALWAYS blue somewhere, whether the very lightest or darkest of shades. Then of course there are those shades of blue that penetrate your soul and stop you in your tracks. Blue resonates peace within my soul as it reminds me to breathe deeply and reflect of what soothes me.

C~Chaos. Through that past couple of years I have grown accustom to chaos, heck, I think I've learned to embrace it. The thing is, I have this tenancy to get these marvelous tension headaches and somewhere along this crazy road it occurred to me that in the midst of the chaos I can FREAK out and tense up every nerve in my body and end up in bed...or I can BREATHE and rest assured that the moment of chaos will pass. When it does finally subside, it will have left a "pearl" so to speak in its wake. That is why I am thankful for the chaos that is my life as a Gaither-Sanders-McCormick!

D-Dad. I am thankful for all the Dads in my life. My Quirky Dad, my girls Father, their Step -Dad, their surrogate Dads (uncles) and my surrogate Dads...Kyle and Dale to name a few. These men have left an impression on my life and the lives of my children and I am so thankful for the guidance and protection they have offered.

E- eggs. The incredible edible egg. :-) Couldn't resist that one. Eggs are a staple source of nutrition around here. Whether scrambled, boiled or in brownies as we've been known to indulge in for breakfast. Sure there are probably better things I could have put for E, but today this is what came to mind and it was fun so there ya have it.

F-FAMILY! This weekend as I was talking to my sisters about kids, I told them I felt like it took a family to raise kids. Not just a biological family, but everyone you feel so inclined to include in that circle. Our circle is so very large and is still growing and I LOVE it! I can't wait till all my siblings are married and have kiddos. Y'all think us Gaithers are a force to reckoned with now...just you wait!

G-grub. or food as some may call it. I love food and this is somewhat of a recent realization. I don't think I tasted food until just a few years ago. I certainly never explored or experimented with it like I have recently. I am not a cook or chef by nature, but I am an eater! I get excited about food and the possibilities. This is one of the areas in my life I wish we had robots or clones. That way I could conjure up these ideas in my head and someone (something) else would create them in my kitchen for me to enjoy! Yes, grub is certainly a blessing in my life!

H-Home. I am grateful that we have a house, but more so that we have a home. I am grateful that I have been able to provide the girls with that throughout everything we have been through. Not just 4 walls and a roof, but the love and security that surrounds you and make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I-internet. Thanks to this wonderful invention I am able to stay in touch with all of my families, pursue my education, and retain my sanity! :-p

J- well there are so many things that star with J that I am thankful for and I am certain that you can figure that one out on your own. Let's just say I love my J's and in another life I most certainly would have carried on my Daddy's tradition of name all my creatures with J's. But between the Gaithers and the Duggers, I think J is getting plenty of recognition. So another "j" thing I am appreciative of is the journey. The journey I am on and all I have because of it. My journey is certainly a great thing and I am learning more and more every day just how much more fun the journey is than the destination!

K-kids. Kids are a reflection of us, in our relationships. A vision, of our future and reminder to slow down and appreciate what we have when we have it. How many of you would love to travel back to your childhood for just one day to relive those carefree moments playing hide and go seek and enjoying the Popsicle as it drips down your arm and laughing~Oh to be able to laugh like a little girl again. Which leads right into...

L-LAUGHTER! Is there any medicine that is so sweet as laughter? I truly believe that the ability to laugh is one of our greatest powers!

M-My momma. I've written many times about this lady but it is worth repeating. My Mom is awesome and I feel so lucky that God picked her to raise not only me but all my siblings. And I am so thankful for the way the she choose to raise us. I have to say, I think she did a spectacular job, even when she may not think so. I hope my kids turn out half as good as hers did.

N- Night time. I LOVE night time, the calm relief from a hectic day, the stars, the SLEEP! :-)

O-October. While it is not secret that this is not my favorite month, I can still be thankful for the hidden blessings of cooler weather and the fact that it signals approaching holidays!

P- pickle pot children. It is no secret that I love my kids, but I am also thankful for all the other pickle pots who have worked their way in to my heart.

Q-quarters. :-) I am thankful for the quarters Nalise Jenia donated to the "keep the children happy" fund at the mall last night! :-)

R-Rain! So, very, extremely, overwhelmingly thankful for the rain!

S- Soldiers. Like My brother and sister. SO proud of what they do. No matter what anyone says, or the bed experiences some of us may have had with a few, I am grateful every day that there are people willing to step up in the face of adversity and protect what they love. It is easy to talk smack...it is hard to keep your mouth shut and fight to bestow the freedom to talk that smack to others. Hooah!

T-trees. I love me some trees! They remind me of my youth, of strength, promise and hope. I like flowers too...but if you want to get me something special...make it a tree to show that love withstands the storms.

U-uncles...my kids uncles that is. I have to brag a bit and say that my baby brothers are the bestest uncles these kiddos could have. God sure knew what he was doing there. :-)

V-voices. Especially the developing voice of my little guy. Those first coo's, then the grunts, the ahh's and now the "Guh" and "Kuh", soon to be joined with those priceless "huh, huh, huh"...giggles. Yes, I am so happy to hear this tiny voice.

W-water, fresh clean abundant drinking water. I don't really like the taste of water (at all) but I adore the way being hydrated makes me feel (and look) and I am grateful that this is something that I have access to everyday in my home.

X-I honestly have no clue on this one. Pass :-)

Y-You. Whoever you may be. You reading my blog and I am thankful for that. I may never know you, but I pray that as you read this you are inspired to take inventory in your own life of your blessings and that this Holiday season will be a treasure to you.

Zzzzz. As in sleep. I am so thankful for the ability to sleep. This is another blessing I have taken for granted. The fact that I am able to sleep, to quiet my mind and that my children are such amazing sleepers is probably one of my most generous blessings!

2 comments:

Written by Miss Optimistic said...

I truly love this idea and i would like to do one myself... as I have many things to be grateful for. oh and the donation wasnt a problem.. I am a big fan of "keeping the kids happy" its a Great foundation and i am going to urge everyone to start donating to it... :)

laurenwernert said...

Love you!