What?! When, where, why...how did that happen?
Fours years ago we moved here. We bought a home, enrolled kids in school, shopped, had babies, visited churches, we lived here...but when did it become HOME?!
Although we have been here for 4 years, There are many streets I've never dared to drive down and areas of town I don't even know about. But somehow it still happened.
Today as I was standing in an decrepit parking lot, taking pictures of an abandoned building, a sweet older gentleman came up to us and began to tell us about the history of the concrete slab we were standing on. I look around, watched my son pick up rocks and jump down the steps of what used to be a produce house on Elm St. my heart stopped and I felt my soul whisper, "home. stay awhile".
I looked around and felt my eyes get teary...wait. No. This is Waco. This is NOT my home.
But it is. This is my sons birth place. Their hometown. They are our family...this is our home.
It may not always be our home. But today, it is.
This is where my girls have blossomed. Where they have stood alone, made new friends, faced heartache, disappointment and fear. This is home because along with all of that...this is where they have excelled. This is where we have been brave enough to dream and strong enough to let go of the baggage of our heartache and chase new dreams. This is where we have healed.
This is where we became a family. This is where we are making memories and leaving our imprint.
This is where our hearts are. This is home.
No comments:
Post a Comment