Monday, April 9, 2012

For the girls continued

I promised I'd continue the story for you girls of your Dad and I, so here we go. Dad and I got married in July of 2001. We had been planning a trip to the Florida Keys so your Daddy could go scuba diving that summer, but when we found out Abigail was on here way, we had to change our plans. Instead of taking a vacation, we decided to get married! Because we were broke, we decided to go to Dallas for our honeymoon. To go rock climbing at REI and ice skating at the Galleria. We ended up mostly shopping and watching movies, hahaha! It was a strange adjustment. A few nights I had to call Mimi to check on Bubba Jed and Jubie since I wasn't home to do it myself. I missed living at home, but I was having a great time with your Dad. That Thanksgiving he made everyone laugh when he turned Aunt Judy's baby corns into a turkey claw, then we laughed and hurried home because I left the oven on. I had a mad case of baby brain! We had a great first Christmas, Dad got golf clubs and an office chair. I got a swiffer! Your Dad got mad when I told people that, but it was what I had asked for and I was excited about it! After Christmas he bought me a carpet steamer. Your Daddy was one of the few people to get my clean-quirky ways. For the first time, I understand what if felt like to be heard. Your Daddy didn't just listen to me, he heard me. Someday you will both understand the difference and the importance of this. I was head over heels.

Over the next few years, we worked at the Clinic together, went camping, canoeing and tubing, going to see Grandma and Debbie and having them come see us. Lots of trips to DFW with Jahna to Central Market and a few trips with Dr. Gaiser to Six Flags. Cookouts and lake trips with the Dr's from the clinic. But one of my very favorite memories is walking around the park after dinner. Dad had a few interviews as A&M but it wasn't until Feb of 2004 that he got in. We went to Ft. Worth and got him some new suits so he would look super spiffy in the pictures for his application, and boy did he look handsome!! The day of Grandma and I went to Taco Cabana and waited. He had been on the waiting list and it was a bright sunny day in April when he got the call. I was supposed to go to a training seminar that night, but I skipped out. We went and took pics at the park instead. I'll never forget that day. They called the house and told me and I called your Dad, who happened to be riding with Dr. Bob and your Daddy was a little annoyed...but more so excited!

The the real fun began. We spent that spring looking at houses. That summer, Abigail and I hung out in Stephenville on the weekends because I had swim meets while Dad went to help Grandma. I was really happy in August to be together on the weekends again, but sad to be leaving my family and my "kids". It was a hard adjustment. Nothing could have prepared me for the changes ahead. But I was so proud of your Dad and all his hard work.

Your Dad is one of the smartest and most determined men I have ever met.

No comments: