As the babies nap and I have a free minute, I need to catch up.
Axel is cruising! He usually has on hand on something, but is taking a (wobbly) step or two on his own. :-( I refuse to admit this are true steps because my baby boy simply cannot be taking steps!! He also has a definite preference for the latex nuk pacifiers. He will take the others out of his mouth and chunk them. He can't quite tell the difference until they are in his mouth, but in the event that he picks (Yes, I let him pick his paci as part of our nap/bedtime routine) the wrong one, he will promptly discard it! He is rough and rowdy and has a beautiful array of bumps and bruises! He is waving "bye-bye" and signing "all done" and "more" on occasion. He also loves to chase his sisters and when he feels they are being unfair he will flop on his belly mid-crawl and wait for them to come back, which they do because he has them wrapped around his finger!
Amelia is my little comedian this month. She lives to make us laugh. We are working on riding her bike and tying shoelaces. She reads a few words, but is still my most stubborn of children and will only do it when we are "not" doing school. She loves going to school and cannot wait to be a "bulldog". When we go on walks, she cheers almost the whole time. "Go Bulldogs" complete with cheerleader fist pump! Gracious me! She also says "whats up" to every boy she knows. We are in SO much trouble with this blonde haired, blue eyed beauty! She is very protective of her family and she has such a sweet heart when she is not trying to get attention. She is learning to play on her own, and we are doing much better in the behavior department. She is a very extroverted child and needs attention. She plays great on her own and listens a hundred times better once she has had her share of loving. Despite being more of an introvert, Abigail went through a very similar phase the summer before kindergarten so this is helpful to me as her mom to know there is nothing "wrong" with her.
Abigail is preparing for her first school play. She will be playing the part of Bozo the clown and has had PAC (Preforming Arts Club) several times a week after school. She is becoming a social butterfly with all her "clubs" and AWANA. She is re-learning that she has responsibilities as a member of our family and has had a few rough days where she didn't prioritize certain things. We are experimenting with the schedule to allow her to feel she has some freedom, while making sure she takes care of all her responsibilities. She is learning the hard way that sometimes we have to say no to things in order to
1) not be overwhelmed.
2) be able to do things well.
She is signed up to swim this summer and we are trying to practice some here so she is not lagging behind when she joins the team in Brenham this summer. However, juggling her previous committments has proved to be a little more than she bargained for. I keep telling her we will swim (more than once or twice a week) AFTER her play and her STARR tests. These are higher on the priority list because they were there first. Swimming is an extracurricular activity, a summer activity and that school and family comes first, No matter what outside influences may say. Abigail is very smart and she is adjusting well. I am having a more difficult time adjusting to the fact that my girl is TEN! What?! Just yesterday she was toddling around with Beau and making big messes! This girl is so smart and determined, much like her Dad and I am excited to see her grow and mature and find her way in this world.
As much as I'd like to say some really unkind (although TRUE) things to certain people...I will refrain. It won't make a difference. They will make their mistakes, damage relationships and reveal their ugliness no mater what I do to try and prevent it. As parents we have to learn that we cannot protect our children from every self-important ignoramus in this world. They will have to learn to deal with them eventually. It is a difficult pill to swallow, that you cannot protect your kids from the people that will hurt them most. This is her life and all I can do is love her, believe in her, encourage her and trust that I have prepared her to make the right choices and stand on her own when needed.
In case I hadn't already figure it out...this parenting stuff is HARD. People are liars. It doesn't get any easier the older they get, it gets harder. But they are worth it. every day and I wouldn't change a thing! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment