As I sit in this office, sorting through emails, replying and deleting, paying bills, I am thankful for my ability to function. Not only in the primitive sense of being able to walk and talk, but to focus on a task, accomplish things, make decisions. I am thankful for the ability to read and write. Although these things can at times feel like a burden, the truth is we are so blessed to have these opportunities. Aside from all the campaigns for fresh water, for education, amid the horrifying headlines...where is our reminder to be thankful for our senses and our capabilities? We are aware of how often we take the simply act of breathing for granted as we complain about allergies, but have you ever thought about what life would be like if you couldn't read? If you were trapped in your mind, unable to make decisions or follow through on simple tasks like fixing your own food much less the important ones like what to feed your family. I am so completely ungrateful most days, it is shameful. Today I want to voice my appreciation for something as tabu as being potty trained. I am grateful I get to wear big girl panties...even on the days I don't want to put them on and deal with it!
I am thankful that I get the opportunity to instill this mindset in my daughters and soon to be son. While I grumble and complain about the shared custody and pregnancy symptoms...the truth is that I should rejoice. I should rejoice in the lives that have been created and formed in my body. I should rejoice in the fact that my children are loved 10 times over. While there are orphans dying from neglect, my children know more love than they can comprehend. They actually have people fighting over them! :-) One day I pray they will understand and appreciate this instead of having bitter memories of Mom and Dad being divorced.
What if we were really truly able to see each aspect of life as a blessing or opportunity instead of a burden or affliction. It is my goal for this year. Perhaps this is the wisdom that comes with age...learning to look at life with a new perspective. I'm not there yet, but I hope to get there as I age.
No comments:
Post a Comment