Monday, January 23, 2012

I'll fly away

It may seem a bit odd, but this is on my heart this morning.

I had the privilege of spending my earliest years of childhood with a church family who where incredibly close. Their influence on my life was extreme. Over the last few months I've been keeping up with one of my Dads close friend's struggle with cancer. This morning I logged in to see that he had gone home. Despite the human sadness that comes with such news, I feel relief for Mike and his family.

Mike was untouchable in my eyes. He was this big strong man who played softball with my Dad. His wife, Jan, was (and is still) beautiful and such a cheerleader for her family. Their daughters took after their Mom and Tully had his Dads contagious smile. Their family was a pillar of strength and this is no doubt what has carried them through such a difficult time.

It serves as a reminder of how our faith carries us through the unspeakable. To tell those we love, that we love them. Everyday, through the good the bad and the ugly. And to enjoy the life we have while we have it.

On a bit of a tangent from that, it has recently been revealed to me that I need to *live* a little bit more. I feel I've been slipping into a life of complacency. Settling for putting forth the bare minimum and floating along.

But I KNOW there is more to this life. There is MORE that I have to offer. I got in a rut when I was tired of giving to others didn't want to put effort into anything but taking care of me.

What a selfish brat, I became. Enough of that.

Time to search, to find something meaningful and invest in something worthwhile. I have a purpose and I have not been living it.

Fears, disappointments, struggles aside...I will find a way to be happier than I have been. Because its not that I haven't been happy. I've been content. But I want to be the happiest, the best that I can be. TO settle for a life of mediocrity is unacceptable.

No comments: