Friday, January 27, 2012

Roofied

A few steps forward, a few steps back. That's just how it goes sometimes.

A small victory I claim is that we ate home cooked, (new) meals 4 nights in a row this week. This may not seem like a big deal for other people, but it is a big deal to me, for several different reasons.

1) My husband is not a fan of my cooking. He prefers Taco Bell and Stouffers. I just can't bring myself to eat either of these things more than once, maaayyybee twice a year.

2) Obviously it saves us $ and is healthier! Actually, I question the $ saving part because I can't figure how to cook without having leftovers. And since they dont' get eaten I end up throwing out half of what I cook. Actually I give them to the dog, and don't get her treats so I guess it does save us $ in the long run.

3) It is a step outside of my comfort zone. It is difficult because as anyone knows the secret ingredient in ANY dish you cook for your family is love, so when you pour your heart and soul (not to mention time and effort) into a meal only to receive snarky comments and complaints~ it hurts.

Regardless, I did it.

We had Stroganoff (I guess this isn't really *new* so much as just something I haven't made in years) on Monday. There were no complaints so I take it as a win.

Tuesday was Potato soup. I thought it was really good as is, but next time I'll use 2 cans of chicken broth. The recipe calls for 3 but that seems like ALOT of salt. One was not enough. We will try 2.

Wednesday was Beefy Nacho soup. (Yes soup two days in a row because the weather was nucky!) Ryan said it was "pretty good" under his breath so I guess it was ok, hahaha!

***side note. I am having to readjust my sensitivity meter and learn how to take Ryan. It is HARD most days, but I figure by the time we have been married 25 years, my skin will be as thick as his Moms. That or he will starve. :-p

Last night was my personal favorite. Y'all know I'm a chicken girl! Lemon Garlic Chicken was DELICIOUS! And I even got into it and felt like I was playing chef as I diced and sauteed the garlic to drizzle over the lemon drenched chicken. Asparagus, salad, cheese & herb biscuits and Mac-n-cheese finished the meal. We tried the new "veggie" mac-n-cheese. Not my favorite but between the other three it was polished off and I got double servings of the asparagus which was another win in my book! :-)

Tonight I am contemplating eating out...but can't really think of anywhere I want to eat, so maybe I'll make stri-fry?!

At one point this week, I questioned whether my coffee had been spiked with prozac. Its weird this "happy" thing. Still not totally there, but at least I feel like I am on my way. Not nearly as much self loathing this week.

Still annoyed at others lack of motivation and effort towards the family~but I am only responsible for my actions. So I'll do what I do and they can answer for themselves.

Several appointments to make, between kids well checks, the Dentist, I want to go see a counselor and poor baby boy gets to go have a consult with the pedi surgeon in Ft. Worth to address adhesion issues with his circ.

I'm still struggling with math since I am pretty much the full time parent. But again~I'll pull my weight and try to pick up the slack as long and as best as I can. And when it falls apart I will be able to say that I gave it my all.

Until then, I'm enjoying my prozac spiked coffee.

No comments: